Re: megaraid warnings

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2004-02-18 06:58:47
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:45:33AM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:
> The 2.6 megaraid driver causes several ugly warnings along the lines of:
>
> drivers/scsi/megaraid.c:3500: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
>
> I think those may be harmless (I don't have hardware to test this) but
> it would still be better to fix the drivers so there are no warnings
> (most likely by casting u32 addresses that are guaranteed to be <4GB
> to "unsigned long" before converting them to a pointer).
>
> Can someone look into this?

This keeps coming up on linux-scsi; basically these are ioctls that
are called by some binary-only (and x86-binary-only at that) management
program.  so if they want to ship an ia64 version of their management
program, they'll have to fix this; otherwise the addresses are guaranteed
to be in the lower 32 bits of the address space.