RE: gcc problems

From: Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann_at_intel.com>
Date: 2004-02-07 04:34:35
> >> -  unsigned long int sc_rsvd[16];/* reserved for future use */
> >> +  unsigned long int sc_rbs_base;/* NULL or new base of
> sighandler's rbs */
> >> +  unsigned long int sc_loadrs;	/* see description above */
> >> +  unsigned long int sc_ar25;	/* cmp8xchg16 uses this */
> >> +  unsigned long int sc_ar26;	/* rsvd for scratch use */
> >> +  unsigned long int sc_rsvd[12];/* reserved for future use */

> on your system
> >>
> >> The right fix is not to use a 2 years old glibc.
> >

> > That's not very old.  One shouldn't have to upgrade libc
> just to build gcc?
>
> Did the two-year-old libc really support ia64 well?   I guess
> Itanium 1 was out then, but those were early days...

If it's a question of glibc 2.2.x vs. 2.3.x, there are
ia64 Linux distributions based on glibc 2.2 that work
pretty well - SUSE's SLES8, for example.  The glibc
used there is somewhere in between the two extremes
noted here (sc_rsvd is 14, and the sc_rbs_base and
sc_loadrs fields are defined).

It's kind of painful when we have to have these lockstep
dependencies but I guess things have to be moved forward
somehow.