Re: [patch] 0/5 2.4.25-pre7 mca.c cleanup

From: Ben Woodard <woodard_at_redhat.com>
Date: 2004-02-03 11:36:17
On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 23:00, Keith Owens wrote:
> mca.c has potential deadlocks on printk() for MCA and INIT records,
> they are not irq safe.
>
> There is a lot of crud in mca.c, with obsolete printing code, unused
> declarations, functions and data that are global when they should be
> static, functions and data that are not used or are only set to 0,
> function returns that are tested but are always 0.  In addition the
> code is disordered, requiring forward declarations and scattering
> related functions to different parts of the file.  All of which make it
> awkward to follow the code.

Amen brother!
Seriously, ever since I started looking into the MCA/salinfo stuff for
LLNL, I've felt like the code really needed some big overhauls. However,
I didn't feel like I had enough experience with the various oddities of
the hardware to feel comfortable really taking a heavy hand to it.

Jim Garlick and I have both been trying to make the smallest changes
possible to fix the problems we have been seeing. We haven't really had
a chance to look through your patches in detail much less try that out
but we should be able to get you some feedback regarding it by the end
of the week. From the quick glance that I've given it so far it looks
like it is a step in the right direction.