Re: [RFC/PATCH, 2/4] readX_check() performance evaluation

From: Andi Kleen <ak_at_suse.de>
Date: 2004-01-29 09:39:48
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:21:40 -0800 (PST)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > I have no idea how to do such an synchronization on i386/x86-64. E.g. Opteron
> > chipsets would likely support MCEs for bus aborts, but there is no way to
> > synchronize it for writes.
>
> Doing a status read from the device should do it (just read the config
> space, for example).

The device is just not known. iirc you only get a bit in the bridge, which
leaves a wide choice. Ok, I guess you could read all config spaces in this
case

(I don't remember the ordering rules well enough - maybe one single config
space read is enough for all devices behind the bridge)

> But remember: I suspect there are very _very_ few people who care at that
> stage.

Driver writers caring would be a good start.

I definitely agree that it shouldn't be enabled on anything near a production kernel.

-Andi