Re: dma restriction on Itanium 2

From: Grant Grundler <iod00d_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-01-17 14:58:54
Kallol,
please continue to include the linux-ia64 list in your replies.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 06:35:53PM -0800, Kallol Biswas wrote:
> Yes, I was talking about under HP-UX.
>
> Just to verify, inability to do DMA over page boundary on PA-RISC
> running HP-UX was a software limitation or hardware? You are saying
> it was a hp-ux(software) limitation, right?

Yes. HPUX has a similar interface for DMA mapping but a completely
different VM subsystem. Linux guarantees contiguous physical blocks
for multi-page memory allocations. HPUX does not. The linux DMA
subsystem uses that assumption.

I'm hoping someone who is better at decoding MCA data can
take a quick look at the data you posted earlier. If no one
else does by next week, I'll work on it then.

grant