Re: a question about memory access on IA64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2004-01-16 14:16:51
>>>>> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:03:00 +0800, liuduo <liuduo@sinosoft.com.cn> said:

  liuduo> Dear Sir: nice to see you !  here is a problem about
  liuduo> accessing memory on IA64 as follows, we define a structrue
  liuduo> is : typedef struct b{ unsigned short b1; unsigned short b2;
  liuduo> unsigned char b3; unsigned char b4; unsigned char b5;
  liuduo> unsigned char b6; }B;

  liuduo> typedef struct a{ struct b bb[512]; int c;}A;

  liuduo> when we use the struct A on IA64, the segmentation fault
  liuduo> occurs , and then we modify the struct A as follows :
  liuduo> typedef struct a{ int c; struct b bb[512]; }A; we can use it
  liuduo> normally .  can you explain why ?  thanks a lot , and expect
  liuduo> your reply urgently

The example you posted is not a complete, self-contained program, so
it's impossible to say whats wrong.  Perhaps it's a compiler bug,
perhaps it's a kernel bug, perhaps it's a bug in the program.  Please
post a _minimal_ test program that reproduces the problem you're
trying to solve and state what compiler version, etc. you're using.
Then somebody may be able to help.