Re: [carlos@baldric.uwo.ca: Good news for glibc.]

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2004-01-06 06:06:38

  Grant> glibc profiling?  This was originally posted on
  Grant> debian-hppa/parisc-linux mailing lists.

I'd recommend q-tools.  It will give you a (statistically collected)
call-graph, in addition to the flat profile and is completely
unintrusive (no recompilation etc needed).  See my post for details:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=107075994721581

Oh, yeah, I'm slightly biased... ;-)

The one limitation is that it doesn't work well for short-lived
processes.  Also, it works in system-wide mode (collects info for
_all_ processes that happen to run over a given period of time).

If you want per-process profiling, you could use qprof.  It doesn't do
call-graphs (yet) and only works for dynamically linked programs, but
it's very easy to use.  See:

  http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/qprof/