RE: memory fence.

From: Boehm, Hans <hans_boehm_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-12-09 10:41:41
You might want to look at the atomic operations package that we distribute
along with qprof (http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/qprof/).  The
most recent released package is at

http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/qprof/download/ao-0.4.tar.gz

Its goal is to implement memory barriers and atomic operations with a portable interface,
while allowing you to describe exactly the functionality you need, so that
you can avoid unnecessary run-time costs when porting between architectures.  It
currently supports X86, IA64, and PA-RISC Linux reasonably well, and has
the beginnings of ports to various other architectures.

Additional ports are always welcome.  And the package is designed to make
the machine-dependent piece as small as possible, typically on the order of
100 lines.

[Caution: The current version installs as "ao", which is now known to
conflict with an audio library.  The name will be changed to atomic_ops in
the next release, which is expected to happen RSN.  In the meantime please be
careful about installing it in /usr.]

Hans