Re: [RFE] Add stacked registers to SAL records (resend)

From: Keith Owens <kaos_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2003-12-09 09:47:04
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:41:32 -0700,
Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
>On Thursday 04 December 2003 5:59 pm, Keith Owens wrote:
>> SAL error records contain most registers in sal_processor_static_info,
>> but not the stacked registers.  What is the process for adding another
>> GUID to the SAL specification to contain the stacked registers?
>
>One of our architecture guys pointed out that the stacked registers
>should still be intact at the OS_MCA and OS_INIT handoffs.  They
>are unchanged in the PALE_CHECK and PALE_INIT exit state (I finally
>found this buried in the RSE description), and the OS_MCA and OS_INIT
>handoff state is defined to be the same for stacked registers.
>
>So I assume your proposal is to address the fact that we don't
>actually save the error records until after a reboot, and the
>stacked register contents are gone by then.  Right?

Partly.  Bu mainly because we need a new SAL error record section with
its own GUID and an agreed format.

You mentioned in another mail "Someone also raised the technical
question of whether the new format included enough information to
relate it to a particular processor, i.e., maybe it should include the
LID".  We already have the lid, in sal_log_processor_info.