q-tools-0.0 released

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-12-07 12:17:20
OK, I guess I'm running very late with releasing it this week, but
better late than never: I finally got around to releasing a _snaphot_
of my profiling tools.  They're very rough, but I think they might be
useful to a number of projects even in their current rough shape.  I
have ideas and plans for many improvements but don't expect to find
time to work on q-tools for the next couple of weeks so either you'll
have to live with the current limitations or start sending
patches---either way is fine with me... ;-)

You can get q-tools from:

 ftp://ftp.hpl.hp.com/pub/linux-ia64/q-tools-0.0.tar.gz

There is a README in there which should contain everything needed to
get you started (if not, complain and I'll fix it).  Just as a teaser,
below is a picture you'd get when running the following commands on an
Itanium 2 machine with q-tools installed:

 $ q-syscollect -k -t 10
 $ q-dot kernel-cpu0.info | dot -Tps -Gcenter,rotate=90,size=10.75 | gv

Note that q-tools is all user-level stuff.  There are no kernel
modules or patches of any sort required (apart from the normal perfmon
support in the 2.6 kernel).

Enjoy,

call-graph for idle kernel