Re: Latest 2.4 IA64 Baseline (Bjorn) + Latest ACPI testing report

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2003-11-20 14:28:14
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:33:20PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > 3.alloc 0x0-0xcf7 from PCI IO for PCI Bus 00:00 failed   (Known issue)
>
> I poked at this again.  The reason this fails is because the
> VGA console driver starts up very early and allocates ports
> 0x3c0-0x3df.  It would be nice if we could figure out a way
> to allocate those ports later, after the PCI bridge has been
> discovered, so we get the ioport resources correct, but I
> don't know a reasonable way to do that.

Ah, I introduced a mechanism for doing the opposite of this in 2.6-test8
(it's credited to Ben Herrenschmidt since he did the debugging and got
it merged).  If you call insert_resource() instead of request_resource(),
conflicting resources get the new resource added as their parent.

I knew this was going to be handy for more than just PPC ;-)