Re: Newbie: General Complile Issues

From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-11-18 02:48:15
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 08:19, Dan Am wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry to to bother the gurus with mere admin view questions. I got hold of a
> zx6000 with RHAS 2.1, got the book and I am taking her out for a spin, so to
> speak.
> Here goes:
>
> 1. Which is the "correct" source ? Kernel Org or bkbits ?

   Either, for 2.4 make sure you have Bjorn's patch or use his bk tree
(linux-ia64-2.4).  For 2.6, you don't need the ia64 patch, but, see next
answer.

> 2. Will the 2.6-test1 that I am using (compiling now with gcc3.1 from hpl) not
> run ?

   test9 definitely works, via kernel.org, standard bk or ia64 bk.
Unless you really need test1, I'd go with the latest.  I don't remember
how well test1 worked.

> 3. There is talk of "Mosberger Patches" : Are those required ?  Where can they
>     be found ?

   For 2.4, yes, but they're now Bjorn patches.   They are not required
for 2.6.  You can find them all here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ports/ia64/

> Thanks a million for bothering. Of course, if there is a FAQ on those q's, or
> a better list, I'd be reading that. Grateful for a pointer in that case.

   You might want to check http://www.gelato.org, there's some useful
information there.  Thanks,

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab