RE: [RFC] Better MCA recovery on IPF

From: Alberto Munoz <amunoz_at_vmware.com>
Date: 2003-11-04 04:51:27
When I was at HP (a good number of years ago, we (HP and Intel) spent a lot
of time trying to architect machine check behavior. Actually all of the
things you guys have been discussing were considered. Because I have not been
following up on this area in many years, I am not sure how much of the work
we did actually made it to official architecture documents, although I do
know that some of it did.

The main idea was that each layer of the machine check handling code will
either be able to transparently (to that layer) recover the error, or pass
the information up to the next layer (this information always included a flag
that would be set if the error was considered non-recoverable by the lower
layer, like for example a tag parity error on a dirty data cache line). The
layers we defined and the order in which they were executed when a machine
check abort occurred were PAL, SAL and the OS. I have seen some of this
information (although I have not checked how complete it is) in chapter 4 of
the SAL spec (Itanium Processor Family System Abstraction layer
Specification) and section 13.3.i of the architecture spec (Intel Itanium
Architecture Software Developers Manual, Volume 2: System Architecture). The
SAL_GET_STATE_INFO call was to be central to getting all this information to
the OS.

Bert Munoz