Re: [RFC] Better MCA recovery on IPF

From: Matthias Fouquet-Lapar <mfl_at_kernel.paris.sgi.com>
Date: 2003-10-28 03:58:08
Hi,

my name is Matthias Fouquet-Lapar, I'm working in SGI's
SW platform group mainly on CPU exception and error handling.

As other members of this group, we're also looking into
changing the Linux error handling to suit the needs of
a reliable super-computer environment.

I think error handling needs to be extended to not only
recover from errors and kill for example the concerned
application. Increasing chip density will increase the
soft error rate, so it also becomes important to determinate
if a error is soft (caused for example by cosmic rays)
or if it is a true HW component failure requiring a
replacement.

There are also more complex error scenarios in multiple
CPU environments when for example all CPUs access a cache
line which has an error.

Traditionally we're verifying our error handling by
error injection as well as running tests with real, broken
HW components for verification and regression testing.

Obviously a lot of the error handling will be very
platform dependant, but I think we should be able to come up
with a common frame set. What do you think ?

Thanks

Matthias Fouquet-Lapar  Core Platform Software    mfl@sgi.com  VNET 521-8213
Principal Engineer      Silicon Graphics          Home Office (+33) 1 3047 4127