Re: Itanium2@900MHz slower than alpha@666MHz ?

From: Ionut Georgescu <george_at_physik.tu-cottbus.de>
Date: 2003-10-25 02:26:55
Yes, it is a 1.5MB cache CPU.

But it might be more than just cache misses. When running with a 256x256
grid, I am actually using 3 256x257 matrices, which is slightly over
1.5MB.  I just made a comparison with a 32x32 grid and the difference is
the same: alpha 10.294s, zx2000 14.777s . -O3 is only by 0.4s faster
than -O2 in this case.

The variations are within +-0.02s between runs (for the 32x32 case).

Is there a way to test the bandwidth of the cache ? Because I think the
alphas have actually 2MB of L2 cache, not L3.

Thanks,
Ionut

--
* Ionut Georgescu