Itanium2@900MHz slower than alpha@666MHz ?

From: Ionut Georgescu <george_at_physik.tu-cottbus.de>
Date: 2003-10-25 01:14:50
Hello,

I am puzzled about the speed of a zx2000 workstation with a 900Mhz CPU.
According to the SPECfp2000 benchmarks, this workstation should be about
twice as fast as a DS10 alpha workstation and according to the fftw2
benchmarks at least 50% faster (double precision, real data, 256x256 FFT
transforms). I ran the fftw2 benchmark myself and I could reproduce the
data on fftw.org

However, my program is about 40% slower on the zx2000 as on the alpha.
It only does some Fourier transforms (fftw2, 256x256) and some matrix
operations (sort of an inner product). Both fftw2 and the program have
been compiled with ecc -O2 -ipo -limf. ecc is Version 7.1, Build
20030307.

Both the alpha and the Itanium2 run Debian stable and kernel 2.4.20.

Is there anything else I can do to improve performance ? I tried to some
profiling (CFLAGS="-g -p -Ob0 -O0 -inline_debug_info"), but the report
is missing the call-graph and a lot of other information, so that I
can't trust the quality of those data. Right now I'm trying to dig my
way through qprof and pfmon (for the moment qprof fails when
QPROF_HW_EVENT is set).

Thanks a lot,
Ionut

--