RE: MCA Recovery for Enterprise Server

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2003-10-21 03:02:21
> Is there any guideline(s) to implement Platform-MCA handler?
> I have found a symbol named PLATFORM_MCA_HANDLERS in
> /arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c, > but it seems not to work.

I posted a set of three patches against 2.6.0-test5 on October 3rd.
Only the first of those parts was accepted, but since then I
have broken out some of the bug-fix components from the 3rd part
and they were accepted by David and Linus, and are part of
2.6.0-test8.

That still leaves 666 lines of patch required to get this working
for the case of MCA due to TLB fault. I've attached the remaining
part to this e-mail for reference, but without any real hope that
David will take such a large patch at this stage of 2.6.0 stablilization.

> Also, if you know any technique for debugging MCA codes,
> please show me the smart way.

The "smart" way is (as always) to avoid putting bugs into the
code, especially as this is fault handler code, which has extra
challenges to debug :-)   Since this approach is very hard, you'll
need either a simulator, or an ITP to allow you to set breakpoints,
examine registers and single-step.  There may be pieces of the
code that could be tested by writing some surrounding support code
to debug them in a more user friendly environment (e.g. user mode).

David: does "ski" have any hooks for fault injection?

-Tony Luck