RE: 2.6.0-Test5 booting problems on Itanium-1!

From: Ameya Mitragotri <ameya.mitragotri_at_wipro.com>
Date: 2003-10-15 21:35:09
> As Tony pointed out, elilo was changed a very long time ago,
> to ONLY use the *physical address* (paddr) found in the ELF
> header of the kernel.
>
> Elilo loads the kernel at the indicated address, if possible.
> Eventually it jumps to this address. Elilo and EFI in general
> execute in
> physical address mode during boot time. The beginning of the
> actual kernel
> execution happens in *physical mode*, the code in _start
> (head.S) switches
> the kernel to virtual mode. This way, we have no dependency
> between the
> bootloader and the kernel w.r.t. virtual mappings.

Thanks! As Tony pointed out, I did an upgrade of the elilo.

1) Installed gnu-efi-3.0-2 and elilo-3.3a-2.
2) Managed to get the 2.6.0-Test5 kernel booting started.
3) Faced panic issues coz of the qla1280 driver. Used Jes
   Sorensen's patch for the qla1280 SCSI driver.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.2/0331.html

The booting was finally successful.

Thanks
Ameya