Re: [Lse-tech] CPUSET Proposal

From: Dave Hansen <haveblue_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2003-09-25 19:04:07
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 23:57, David Mosberger wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting that x86 is limited to 8-way, I was wondering how
> many > 8-way x86 Linux machines are actually out there.  I wasn't even
> being facetious---just curious.

Well, besides the NUMA-Q, which went up to 60x and is dead now, there
are at least the IBM Summit chipset machines.  They're sold as 32-ways
today on the x445 (that's physical, without hyperthreading).  I've
personally booted Linux on a 16-way, but I'm know others have booted on
the 32-way configuration.  Patches for this were posted in the last week
by James Cleverdon.

There's also the bigsmp code in the kernel for other P4-based systems
that are >8x.  I haven't seen any of them yet, but I wouldn't imagine
that people would put support in the kernel for hardware that wasn't at
least *close* to production.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com