Re: [Lse-tech] Re: CPUSET Proposal

From: William Lee Irwin III <wli_at_holomorphy.com>
Date: 2003-09-25 16:44:30

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:38:04PM -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
> The hierarchies don't correspond, or do so only accidentally.
> That is, cpusets, as proposed, have a hierarchy such that one
> cpuset is the child of another if one cpuset describes a subset
> of another's CPUs.
> At first blush, I don't see a hierarchy of CKRM Classes, rather
> just a flat space, say Gold, Silver and Bronze.

It's meant to flatten the hierarchy by using numerical measures of
share to precompute the effect of the hierarchy. A directly hierarchical
data structure representation's traversal is too inefficient to be
tolerated in certain performance-critical codepaths, e.g. schedule().

The hierarchy is meant to be there, just implemented without that
traversal in the scheduler (and elsewhere).

-- wli