Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-09-24 03:56:33
>>>>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:27:35 -0700, "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> said:

  DaveM> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:59:11 -0700
  DaveM> David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

  >> The printk() is rate-controlled and doesn't happen for every unaligned
  >> access.  It's average cost can be made as low as we want to, by adjusting
  >> the rate.

  DaveM> But if the event is normal, you shouldn't be logging it as if
  DaveM> it weren't.

An event that causes a slow-down of 500 times or so is not "normal".
On Alpha, we did have just a counter.  Guess what, nobody ever noticed
when things ran much slower than they should have.

  DaveM> Anyone who tries to use IP over appletalk or certain protocols
  DaveM> over PPP are going to see your silly messages.

  DaveM> As I understand it, you even do this stupid printk for user apps
  DaveM> as well, that makes it more than rediculious.  I'd be surprised
  DaveM> if anyone can find any useful kernel messages on an ia64 system
  DaveM> in the dmesg output with all the unaligned access crap there.

Ever heard of prctl --unalign=silent?
I don't normaly do that and I still get very few unaligned warning messages.