Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: David S. Miller <davem_at_redhat.com>
Date: 2003-09-24 10:06:34
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:14:56 +0100
Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> wrote:

> (I can see this descending into get_unaligned_likely() and
> get_aligned_unlikely() which i'd rather avoid ...)

get_unaligned_unlikely() is exactly what just loading the 32-bit value
as if it were aligned is, ie. what we're doing right now.

People who want top performance should not put a networking card into
their machine that can only DMA packets to 32-byte or whatever
boundaries.  That's exactly the limitation NS83820 has and therefore
why it should be avoided like the plague by performance conscious
folks.