Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: Andrew Morton <akpm_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2003-09-24 09:15:29
"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> wrote:

> > That's not true; they could be avoided by using get_unaligned() and
>  > put_unaligned().  You just don't want to because they'd make sparc suck.
>
>  Not only sparc would be effected by this.  Using {get,put}_unaligned()
>  all over the networking would incur a penalty for many platforms, not
>  just sparc.

Really?  I'd have thought that get/put_unaligned would be a simple
load/store for architectures which wish to implement it in that manner.

Other architectures could take it as an optimisation hint, to avoid taking
a trap.  They'd probably still need to implement the fixup, but if a few of
these hints could reduce the trap frequency significantly then it may be
worth doing?

I guess it depends on how many of these hints would be needed at the source
level to avoid "most" of the traps.