RE: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2003-09-24 04:21:35
> As I understand it, you even do this stupid printk for user apps
> as well, that makes it more than rediculious.  I'd be surprised
> if anyone can find any useful kernel messages on an ia64 system
> in the dmesg output with all the unaligned access crap there.

I don't think that it is "normal" for applications to do unaligned
memory access.  It means that:

a) the programmer is playing fast and loose with types and/or casts.
b) the end-user is going to be disappointed with the performance.

Looking at a couple of ia64 build servers here I see zero unaligned
access messages in the logs.

-Tony