HP_SIM with performance monitoring

From: Ian Wienand <ianw_at_gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 2003-08-26 12:18:46
Hi,

I noticed that when trying to boot 2.6.0-test4 in the simulator with
perfmon turned on it ended up oopsing with a "General Exception: IA-64
Reserved Register/Field fault" in pfm_init_percpu() when it tried to
zero out the PMD registers.

I have no idea if the simulator implements perfmon support, but
noticed that there are PMC and PMD registers in the register window.
Am I right in saying the simulator has only 8, skipping odd registers,
where mckinley has 15 PMC and 17 PMD registers?

I can think of a number of things to fix it but am not sure which is
correct -- the GENERIC definitions look kind of correct; maybe
CONFIG_PERFMON should be turned off for HP_SIM; or create a dummy
PMC/PMD register definition (attached).  Any enlightenment
appreciated.

-i