Re: Why sim/boot in -test4?

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-08-26 06:56:46

  Matthew> By the way, -test3 used to take a really really long time
  Matthew> to link each step, and -test4 doesn't.  I don't know
  Matthew> whether this was an intentional fix, but I'm certainly
  Matthew> happy to see it.

I don't think it's a fix per se, but rather a new config option: it
used to be that I turned on compilation with "-g" unconditionally
(sorry, but I hate not having debug info around when you need it...).
Now Sam (finally! ;-) added a CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL option, so if you
didn't turn this on, the kernel will be compiled without debug option
and the resulting object files will be a lot smaller.

BTW: someone really ought to look into why the debug info is so big
and what could be done to handle it more sanely.  For example, we get
tons of debug-info replication due to header-files etc.  It's rather
embarrassing how low the state of the art is w.r.t. debug info
management...