Re: [patch] 2.4.21-ia64-030702 arch/ia64/kernel/mca.c

From: Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-08-12 09:01:51
On Saturday 09 August 2003 11:28 pm, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > I know that SGI SAL code is reentrant safe so I break any existing SAL
> > lock, but only on SN2.  If the other platforms say that they are
> > reentrant safe and the locking in sal.h is fixed then this sn2 specific
> > patch is not required.  Until then, we need it in the kernel.
>
>    See the modification I made to these for cmc/cpe polling.  I created
> a new SAL call that runs with irqs enabled.  SAL_{GET,CLEAR}_STATE_INFO*
> make use of them.  Nobody has spoken up yet about any platforms that
> don't follow the SAL spec for these calls.  Bjorn accepted the changes,
> but it doesn't look like they're in bk yet.  They're in 2.6.0-test3.
> Does that eliminate this problem?

I did put in the change so SAL_{GET,CLEAR}_STATE_INFO are called
with no locking and with interrupts enabled.  Now that I think about
it, I'll probably regret it because of the risk you pointed out, Keith ;-)

I updated the BK tree and plain-text patches, and I think it would
be easier if you re-diffed (and possibly split up into logical units)
any remaining patches.

Bjorn