Re: milstone reached: ia64 linux builds out of Linus' tree

From: David S. Miller <davem_at_redhat.com>
Date: 2003-08-05 04:45:46
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:40:25 -0700
David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I spend on average about 1 day a week on ia64
> linux maintenance and that's just about as much as I'd want to (though
> in recent months it has been a bit more, partly so that we can get
> into sync with Linus' tree).

I'm not addressing you specifically, but I will note how great
you tend to say ia64 is when platform performance comparison
discussions happen on the lists :-)

In general, I think some platform maintainence drifts way too easily
into a tail-spin of local changes that take forever to get merged.

My point was that if some random single monkey like me can keep a
loser platform like sparc64 still building in Linus's tree, a group of
several trained professionals should be able to fare much better :)