RE: video cards for zx1 systems?

From: BURRELL,JEFF (HP-FtCollins,ex1) <jeff.burrell_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-08-02 07:21:27
A couple of additions to Alex' comments.  There's now a working driver for
the ATI FireGL X1 and Z1 cards and those cards will begin shipping early to
mid September as an officially supported product configuration from HP. This
driver works with the shipping Red Hat AW 2.1 bits(i.e. Xfree 4.1).  The
Nvidia Quadro products(eg. 900/750/550/380) should work, though we haven't
tested them all.  Nvidia claims(unofficially) that the newer consumer
cards(GeForce4) should work, but I've heard of some spotty results.

Avoid any card that requires a separate power connection if you're putting
it in a zx6000.  There is no officially supported way to power those
cards(eg. FX2000, FX3000) from the AGP/PCI card cage on a zx6000, although
they work just fine in a zx2000.  I'm not familiar enough with the form of
the consumer FX cards to know if there are versions that need external
power, but I wouldn't be surprised, given how much power they require.

Jeff Burrell
HP Workstations
Linux R&D