Re: video cards for zx1 systems?

From: Alex Williamson <alex_williamson_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-08-02 06:32:49
   The officially supported list is pretty small; Radeon 7000, Nvidia
Quadro 2EX, Nvidia Quadro 4 980 XGL, ATI FireGL (need X 4.3).  I've
only been able to try a couple outside of this list.  I haven't had
much luck with Matrox.  Unoffically, the older Quadro 2 card that
shipped in BigSur systems works.  I would guess that most ATI Radeon
based cards work.  Haven't had a GeForce to try, but I would have
assumed that it would work.  I've used a Rage 128 under X, but I don't
remember if I was using it for my console.

   The cards are normal PC video cards, but that's also the reason
that the supported list isn't longer.  The BIOS on the card contains
an x86 option ROM.  Execution of the option ROM is emulated in firmware
since the zx1 boxes are legacy free.  The beep code you're getting
means that firmware hung.  Do you get anything out of the serial
console when this happens?  Might want to make sure you system is up
to the latest firmware as well.

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab