Re: [Linux-ia64] sys_clone() related info/help/pointer needed

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-31 03:47:17

  Raj> Thanks for your comments/info David.  (was out for few days...)

  Raj> One thing I am not clear is why should it be different when
  Raj> sys_clone() is called as part of the regulare syscall and from
  Raj> a module as another syscall. Both of them are going through the
  Raj> same path; sys_clone(), do_fork(), copy_thread(). Am I missing
  Raj> something vey obvious to see the difference?

Modules are a different story: you can't call modules via the syscall
table (because the global pointer will be wrong).  This is actually a
feature since it's almost always either wrong or illegal to install
syscalls from a module.  In fact, in newer kernels, the syscall table
isn't exported to modules anymore.  That's a good thing.

  Raj> BTW: I bought "ia-64 linux kernel design and implementation"
  Raj> book.  It is very well wriiten.

Thanks!

	--david