[Linux-ia64] Re: [patch] support 64 bit pci_alloc_consistent

From: Arjan van de Ven <arjanv_at_redhat.com>
Date: 2003-05-18 19:43:41
On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 02:35:33AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

> WHile logically you are correct, the probing code is going to
> look basically identical.

For most drivers I don't think it will. Most drivers will just say "look I
can do THIS much. I don't give a flying fish about how much of
that you actually use". At least in the probing code.

In code of say a scsi driver that has to pick some dma descriptor format it's a different
matter of course, but there you have to check SOMETHING, either a variable
you stored during probing, or now the effective mask....