Re: [Linux-ia64] Parallel make

From: Martin Pool <mbp_at_samba.org>
Date: 2003-05-16 14:44:09
On 15 May 2003, Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> Yes, distcc is really nice. I have been using it for a month or so
> for my kernel compiles using a cluster of Itanium 2 machines. What
> I like is that it is really easy to setup. The danger with the
> approach is that you can easily overload your local (master) host.

It can work well to use -l as well as -j, to put an upper limit on the
load on the master host.  If you have 2 local CPUs and 8 altogether
then perhaps.

  make -l4 -j10

That ought to make concurrency ramp down as it gets into the linking
phase.

I ought to add that to the manual/faq.

> As for kernel compiles for 2.5, there are a lot of ld steps
> which are still all done on the master node.  Besides that you
> can really feel the speed difference. I need to take a look at ccache
> now that you mention it.
>
> Very cool.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

--