Re: [Linux-ia64] kernel 2.5.69 doesn't compile for UP

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-15 05:30:31

  Matthew> Yes, I'd love to ;-) I just need to fix your 2.5.69 patch
  Matthew> so it'll compile :-P $ find -type f |xargs grep
  Matthew> compat_sys_setaffinity ./arch/ia64/ia32/ia32_entry.S: data8

The ia32 subsystem does NOT work at the moment, as I mentioned in my
announcement.  If you chose to ignore my messages, tough luck.

  Matthew> Seriously, this is an attitude I see way too much of in
  Matthew> this port.  Something's broken so it gets kludged inside
  Matthew> arch/ia64 (or worse yet,

It's always nice to hear your opinions.

  Matthew> Maybe it's a relic of the "secret beginnings" of this port,
  Matthew> or maybe people from certain companies have too narrow a
  Matthew> focus, but it has to stop.  I think the attitude is
  Matthew> starting to change but there's a lot of cruft built up.

Oh, yeah, bring out your conspiracy theories.  Yawn.

Perhaps you might want to consider a more obvious scenario?  Like,
there is much more work to go around than time/people to do it all and
hence certain things get lower priority?

In fact, why not start with yourself?  If you see something that you
absolutely hate, send in a patch to fix it.  That's how Linux works.

	--david