Re: [Linux-ia64] Dump driver module

From: Martin Pool <mbp_at_samba.org>
Date: 2003-05-14 12:14:21
On 13 May 2003, Bruno Vidal <bruno_vidal@hp.com> wrote:
> 	Hi
> Sorry, but LKCD is really not usefull because it use the buffer
> to write on the device. So it just hang in case of data page fault for
> example (because interuption are masked), LKCD is also not working in case
> of buffer corruption, disk driver pb, etc.... so LKCD is not usable in
> lot's of case (and it happen really often to have data page fault).

There is also the netconsole/netdump system.  This is supposed to rely
on only a very minimal network driver.  As you say, writing to disk
when kernel memory may have been corrupted is a risky business, not
only because you might hang but also because you might write over the
wrong region.  netdump doesn't do any disk IO for that reason.  I seem
to recall that Linus liked this property.

Of course it's only useful if the machine is on a network where there
is another machine to catch the data, but I would expect that to be
the case for most ia64 machines.

  http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/netdump/

--
Martin