[Linux-ia64] Dump driver module

From: Bruno Vidal <bruno_vidal_at_hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-13 17:02:48
	Hi all.
I've already wrote a dump modules driver for linux-parisc.
This module goal is to create a memory image on a swap area, and
at reboot time to save it to disk with all kernel modules, in
order to analyze it after by "support" people with tools like
gdb/p4. The problem while dumping is that the dump modules
cannot trust anymore the system, so dumping means: no interruption,
no disk driver, no buffer, nothing. The solution is to use low level
call. For parisc I use the IODC calls, for ia64 I think I'll
use the EFI calls. My questions:
-do you think it is a "good" and realistic solution.
-because I think "yes", does exist somewhere an example of
reading/writing with EFI call on disk using BLOCK IO. I've already
looked in elilo, but it seems that it use FS access.

	Thanks.

--
	Vidal Bruno, (770-4271)
         SSD-HA Team, HP-UX & LINUX Support