Re: [Linux-ia64] executable data segment ?

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-10 17:01:48

  >> Is there a way in linux on ia64 to execute code in the
  >> datasegment ?

  > Yes, it is possible to execute code in the data
  > segment.  The data segment by default is not executable. You
  > might have to make it executable using the mprotect system call.

And if you want to be able to get a backtrace through dynamically
generated code, please consider using the dynamic unwind info API of
libunwind (http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/libunwind/).  No
man-page yet, I'm afraid, but there is an example in the libunwind
source distribution (tests/ia64-test-dyn1.c) which should make it
obvious how to use this API.

Imagine being about to use gdb to debug your dynamically-generated
code!

	--david