Re: [Linux-ia64] SAL error record logging/decoding

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-08 10:05:15

  Bjorn> The attached patch (against 2.4.21-rc1) makes the raw, binary
  Bjorn> error records straight from SAL available via files in /proc:

  Bjorn> 	/proc/sal/cpu<n>/{mca,init,cmc,cpe}

  Bjorn> If you read the file, you get the raw data.  If you write
  Bjorn> "clear" to it, you invalidate the current error record (which
  Bjorn> as I read the spec, may potentially make another, pending
  Bjorn> record available to be read).

Looks excellent to me, except: wouldn't you want to make this a
filesystem instead?  (Do I sound like Al Viro? ;-)

So instead of /proc/sal you'd do:

	mount -t salfs dummy /wherever

and then you'd get cpu<n>/{mca,init,cmc,cpe} in /wherever.  As of
2.5.67, we have:

	$ cat /proc/filesystems |grep nodev
	nodev   sysfs
	nodev   rootfs
	nodev   bdev
	nodev   proc
	nodev   sockfs
	nodev   usbfs
	nodev   usbdevfs
	nodev   futexfs
	nodev   tmpfs
	nodev   pipefs
	nodev   eventpollfs
	nodev   binfmt_misc
	nodev   devpts
	nodev   ramfs
	nodev   nfs
	nodev   nfs4
	nodev   nfsd
	nodev   autofs
	nodev   rpc_pipefs

So clearly there is a precedent.  Plus it would avoid all the
inefficies of /proc.

	--david