Re: [Linux-ia64] patch for ia64 oprofile support for 2.5.67 kernel

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-05-07 02:53:45
>>>>> On Mon, 05 May 2003 17:36:03 -0400, Will Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com> said:

  Bill> Comments?

The patch looks fine for 2.4 purposes, but for 2.5/2.6, I'd much
prefer to see all PMU-related manipulation done in user-space (through
the perfmon syscall and/or pfmlib).  I really don't want to have to
maintain _two_ subsystems that need to be updated with each new
processor.

I talked to Stephane about this and he said he should have the "custom
sampling buffer format" patch ready in about a week's time.  Once that
is in, you should be able to hook oprofile to perfmon with a trivial
glue "module".

	--david