RE: [Linux-ia64] benchmarking results

From: Adriano Galano <adriano_at_satec.es>
Date: 2003-05-05 19:08:07
Hi Steve:

> <adriano@satec.es> said:
> >
> >   Adriano> We need to find some reference of SMP
> scalability on Linux
> >   Adriano> scheduler. For 1, 2, 4 and 8 processor. How "lineal" is
> >   Adriano> this scalability? Does Linux perform well en 4
> or 8 Itanium
> >   Adriano> 2 architecture?
> >
> > David Mosberger wrote:
> > There is no single answer to the scalability question.  It totally
> > depends on what application you're running.  SGI has shown that
> > certain apps scale very nicely all the way to 64 CPUs on their Altix
> > box.  Kernel-intensive apps won't scale that far, but even
> there there
> > is some evendice of very nice scaling.  ...
>
> Hi Adriano,
>
> As David points out, there's a lot of factors that can affect
> scalability
> results for a particular workload.  If you haven't already,
> you might want
> to check out the following from the February 2003 issue of
> Linux Journal
> magazine: http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6440, which
> provides more
> background on the SGI Altix system along with some scaling
> and benchmark results.

Thanks for the reference.

Maybe in all the cases I can see NUMA architectures and not find references
related to what kind of scheduler was used older sched, O(1) or HT? The
limits of the bricks for SMP are 4 proc, how could I assume linear
scalability for 8 proc having memory latency accesing the others bricks
through R-Brick maybe?

Regards,

-Adriano