Re: [parisc-linux] Re: [Linux-ia64] Linux, Itanium and PA/RISC

From: Markus Schaber <markus.schaber_at_student.uni-ulm.de>
Date: 2003-03-27 05:14:18
Hello,

"Adriano Galano" <adriano@satec.es> schrieb:

> > [...] maybe one can even run a PA-RISC OS inside a virtual
> > PA-RISC Machine on Itaniums. (However I don't know any such VM.)
> Which VM are ported to Linux IA64? Bochs? Virtuozzo? VMWare? Plex86?
> Recent Microsoft adquisition
> (http://www.connectix.com/fr/about/acquisition_faq.html) is focus in
> this sense I think.

As far as I know, all those VMs emulate IA32 and not PA-RISC. So I don't
know how this could help in running a PA-RISC OS on an Itanium.

However, Bochs should be easy to port to another platform due to it's
pure interpreter nature. I don't know about Virtuozzo, but VMWare and
Plex86 run at least user-level app code natively, so they have to be
adopted to the IA64 Kern and the mode switching, I think. E. G. VMware
and Plex86 both make use of Kernel Modules / Patches which must be
adopted.

Gruß,
Markus

--
Schabi's Flohmarkt: http://schabi.de/flohmarkt/

Der Dienstweg ist die Verbindung der Sackgasse mit dem Holzweg!
[DoLi in unibwm.studium]