Re: [Linux-ia64] [patch] 2.4.20 ia64_sal_mc_rendez must not lock

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2003-03-23 00:03:57
On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 03:51:54PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
> No cpu will return from ia64_sal_mc_rendez() until all cpus have
> entered rendezvous and the monarch cpu sends the wake up ipi.  All cpus
> try to call ia64_sal_mc_rendez() but only the first one makes it, the
> others all block on the spinlock and eventually SAL hits them with an
> INIT.
>
> Why do I get the feeling that I am the first person to really use this
> code?

Maybe this is (in part) what's causing
https://lists.linuxia64.org/archives/linux-ia64/2002-August/003876.html

Apparently the reason it hangs is that I leave my console at the default
9600 baud (you know, like a customer would ..) and when dumping state
it takes so long that the system assumes the CPU has hung.  Bag o' shite.