Re: [Linux-ia64] provide /proc/sal/itc_drift through AUX?

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-03-21 06:57:01

  David> Why do you need to export it if you just use a light-weight
  David> gettimeofday()?  The light-weight syscall can readily access
  David> the ITC-drift info via kernel memory.

  Jes> Let me get sure I understand you right here, you are suggesting
  Jes> I add a new syscall to provide the info currently found in
  Jes> /proc/sal/itc_drift? Right now it's just returning true/false
  Jes> (1/0) as to whether the ITC drifts or not.

No, not at all.  I was simply suggesting to always use gettimeofday().
The light-weight implementation of gettimeofday() runs in ~130 cycles,
which isn't much slower than what you could do in user-level.

  Jes> what are you referring to by HPET?

HPET = High Precision Event Timer.  See:

  http://www.intel.com/labs/platcomp/hpet/hpetspec.htm

	--david