Re: [Linux-ia64] page size > 16KB

From: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2003-03-15 06:00:36
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:33:30AM -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 01:33:12PM +0100, Jan Schreckenbach wrote:
> > yep, I'm doing some benchmark stuff with SAP/SAPDB and the performance
> > is not as good as I expected. CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y is standard on a
> > SLES8 kernel (2.4.19-SMP). I changed the page size from 16K to 64K
> > and the performance increase was 2-3 percent. Changing  Huge TLB Page
> > Size" seems not to have any effect.

richa pointed out that it would probably be a good idea to use perfmon
to count L2DTLB_MISSES events for your app to see whether TLB misses
are really causing a problem.  Another good thing to do might be to
run vmstat during your app run to see how much I/O wait time you're
seeing, and whether you're saturating your block device, etc.

Jesse