Re: [Linux-ia64] limiting dentries on Linux

From: Jes Sorensen <jes_at_wildopensource.com>
Date: 2003-03-13 05:24:11
>>>>> "Mario" == Mario Smarduch <cms063@email.mot.com> writes:

Mario> I apologize in advance for floating a general Linux question on
Mario> IA-64 group.

Mario> What can be used to limit space allocated for dentries?  For
Mario> example catting non-existing files eats up 30M of memory.

Actually that just goes into the buffer/page caches and will be
released again once someone tries to allocate the memory back using
the appropriate kmalloc() flags, ie. anything but GFP_ATOMIC.

Mario> What group is more relevant to these types of questions.

Possibly linux-kernel, however I doubt you will find much support for
limiting the buffer/page caches.

Cheers,
Jes