Re: [Linux-ia64] page size > 16KB

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-03-13 04:46:45

  Don> Because 32K is not supported by the hardware and last time I
  Don> tried Linux had probllems with page sizes >= 64K.  The scsi
  Don> code used a bit map that blew up with large page sizes.  I know
  Don> someone created a patch to fix this problem but I don't know if
  Don> it made it into the official tree.

Yes, I fixed the SCSI problems for 2.4.  However, there were also some
second-order issues in the file/block-subsystems.

I probably don't remember all the details, but one example is that the
disk block-size used to be stored in a 16 bit variable.  Not so good
if your block-size is 64KB. ;-) That one definitely has been fixed.
But I wouldn't blindly trust that the 64KB page size is fully working,
even if there are currently no known problems.

	--david