Re: [Linux-ia64] page size > 16KB

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-03-13 04:40:55

  Jan> Hello, why should the page size on Itanium 2 not bigger than
  Jan> 16KB?

On 2.4, there are some interesting filesystem issues with a 64KB page
size.  Besides that, 64KB obviously leads to much higher internal
fragmentation, so I wouldn't recommend it for systems with "small"
amounts of memory (less than a couple of gigs).

On the other hand, the performance measurements I have done with 64KB
page size suggested that the page size could become the sweet-spot
much sooner than I had expected.  It wouldn't surprise me if 2-3 years
from now, we started seeing normal distributions ship with 64KB page
size by default (and of course, for special environments/applications,
64KB page size makes tons of sense today already).

	--david