Re: [lia64-sim] Re: [Linux-ia64] ski and gcc-3.x

From: Matt Chapman <matthewc_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 2003-02-21 18:35:35
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:23:22PM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:

> I'm afraid you'll be out of luck without X: you _can_ run in
> batch-mode without X, but then you don't get the debugger.  If you
> want the debugger, there must be a way to create a simulated console
> and that's done by starting a slave xterm.  Without X, that's hard to
> do.  If I work remotely, I use ssh X forwarding to prevent this
> problem.

X forwarding is painful over a modem :)

To get around this, I wrote a small program that sits in place of xterm
(I put it first in my path with a wrapper script).  It relays to a pty
device; I then connect to the slave device with another program like
screen or minicom.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~matthewc/files/fake-xterm.c

Matt