Re: [Linux-ia64] Preempt problems

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian_at_frankl.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2003-02-04 08:36:26
Peter,

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 07:17:01AM +1100, Peter Chubb wrote:

> Hi David,
>    Just a heads up --- there are still two major problems with the
> patch I submitted for preemption support, so I suggest you don't merge
> it yet (although I'd very much appreciate having it reviewed and
> tested by third parties).
>
> The two problems I see are:
>     -- perfmon missing interrupts *even with CONFIG_PREEMPT turned
> off!*

As for perfmon, there are some known issues with perfmon and the O(1)
scheduler (deadlocks during ctxsw in SMP). I am not sure it affects your
particular test case. I had postponed fixing this because I am working on
a new perfmon code base for 2.5 in which (hopefully) all problems are gone.
However a somewhat related issue came up last week and I decided to fix
some of the problems. I will try to give a new patch to David this week.

As for preemption and perfmon, I haven't had a chance to look at the patch
yet. There are some assumptions about not being preemptable at several places.

--
-Stephane