Re: [Linux-ia64] Epca patches

From: Christian Cotte-Barrot <Christian.Cotte-Barrot_at_bull.net>
Date: 2003-01-29 01:24:02
Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > Agree that all the modifications are not ia64-specific.
> > However, some of them are 64 bits specific and are related to 64 port:
> >   - struct board_chan (digiFep1.h, describes a fragment of I/O memory space
> >     shared between driver and firmware) must be of 128 bytes long exactly.
> >   - driver's data definitions and insmod MODULE_PARM declarations
> >     must be consistent.
> >   - ioremapped memory base addresses data must be long (64 bits).
> >   - epca module in the kernel sources is not 64 bits
> >     epca.c
> >       #if BITS_PER_LONG != 32
> >       #  error FIXME: this driver only works on 32-bit platforms
> >       #endif
>
> The point is, the epca driver has a maintainer.  Changes to it
> should go through him.
>
> All the changes you mention can be made in a way that will work
> on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.  And they can almost certainly
> be done without all the ugly IA64 #ifdefs.  If you head in that
> direction, I suspect that the maintainer will be interested in
> your changes.
>
> Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn,

Here are new versions of the epca driver patches.
They cancel and replace the previous versions.
  - epca-1.50-1_64bit.diff.gz        : Digiboard software package patch
  - epca-1.50-1_64bit_2.4.19.diff.gz : 2.4.19 kernel tree patch

I had a code review to my modifications and I classified them in three
groups. Of course all the ugly IA64 #ifdefs have been deleted.
Then
  I moved
    __IA64__           to EPCA_64BIT (only related to 64bit port)
    __IA64__           to EPCA_NEW1  (remaining)
    __IA64__DEBUG      to EPCA_DEBUG
    __IA64__POLL_DEBUG to EPCA_POLL_DEBUG
  I added
    FORCE_CONC_DIGI_PACK : force to use concentrator image delivered
                           with the software package (revision number)

Hope this helps.